So, another concert completed last night - the big one for the community choir that I accompany and my boss at work directs. Way too much togetherness, but it's a surprise paying gig.
Anyway, they wanted some soloists to intersperse with the choir pieces and I was asked if I would sing a solo. Seeing as I just started working with them in October and i dont' want to step on toes right away (no one else has their degree in music) I figured no sense coming out guns a blazing, so I offered to do a duet with the director instead of a solo.
She and I can't be more opposite in our styles of singing and taste in music, so I took two fairly well-known xmas pieces that were total opposites (Amen and Angels we have heard on high) and combined them in to a duet less than 2 weeks from the concert
It's hard arranging a piece for accapella vocals because you can't hear both of the parts at the same time. The first time she heard it she thought it was "cute". Then the second time around she didn't like it and I had to agree on some of her points and I went back and re-wrote parts of it.
We both liked it much better. Even she admitted that she had the easy part and mine was rather complicated, which was fuel for her fodder when I made a mistake.
Anyhoos, we did it last night and I thought it was great! i held back on my volume as she has a fairly light voice and I thought we blended well.
There was a little girl, maybe 5 or 6 there who exclaimed out loud after we were done that she liked the piano better. I laughed and said I like the piano better too and then the director/my boss comes back with - I like her piano playing better too! *meow*
I was kinda taken aback by that. What was nice was as I was exiting the church I had 2 people come up to me and say that they thought my singing was awesome :)
Lessened the sting a bit!
Ah well, I'll hit them good if they ask me to sing in the spring concert heheh.
No comments:
Post a Comment