Monday, April 20, 2009

Not looking real promising --EDITED--

the home inspection was this morning as was the home assessment.

The inspection found the things that we expected it to find - missing doors, mising moulding, no eavestroughing/poor eavestroughing, etc.

It also found one that we weren't expecting...faulty heating! There are 3 "zones" with 3 thermostats. The back one and the upstairs worked fine. The front one that heats the master bedroom, bathroom, living room and kitchen didn't work. Inspector said that it's not likely to be the thermostat as the pipes coming from the furnace itself for that zone wasn't working/the pipes weren't heating up. It could be as simple as the line is clogged and needs to be bled or it coudl be as bad as the zone valve needs to be replaced.

Either way, the current owners have refused to spend another dime on the house, no matter what and they will not budge another cent lower either, so if we want the house, we will have to eat the costs for figuring out what may be/is wrong with the furnace and the costs to fix it.

I am currently uncertain if I want to take that chance.

The assessment will not be ready until tomorrow morning. I'm not sure that it will come in to meet or exceed the agreed upon price. He picked up a few things as well.

If this sale falls through, I'm only out $100 and the current owners left instructions to take the home off the market until they return 3 months from now.

EDITED: I'm only on the hook to the realtors for $100. I paid for the house inspection and house assessment today to the tune of a little more than $700 for "peace of mind". Funny how I feel less secure about it now than I did before this morning.

Part of me is tempted to say no due to the furnace in the hope that after they pay 3 more months of mortgage payments they will be more willing to negotiate.

Part of me wants to be done with it and take it for what it is...better than most, certainly not perfect.

*le sigh* I don't know.

Van isn't off until 8:30pm tonight, so we can't even talk about it until after that.

Then we can't get in to talk to the bank until Wednesday at 11am and Wednesday is the deadline day.

Don't know, don't know, don't know...so much riding on what is really so little.

garg. I feel like a rock and a hard place!

3 comments:

John said...

The owner's attitude would be the thing turning me off of this sale more than what the assessor found. They lead me to think they are a little pissed that you want to "low ball" them, are angry that you found some flaws that justified your low-ball bid, and seem unwilling to spend the time needed on such a major purchase while you get your ducks in row-- maybe there is more wrong that a simple home inspection didn't find??

While it seems like the right house, it also looks like some flag and flares are up and should be looked at.

canadianicewolf said...

Agreed.

The fact that they left the country for the next 3 months and refuse to discuss any changes, or decrease their price no matter what is found is very off-putting.

I think that their attitude, plus all the little things that aren't right is making me REALLY edgy with this house.

The right decision and all goes smoothly. The wrong decision usually leads to road blocks, etc. which this is starting to look like.

Discussion with Van after he gets off work may help...hoping!!

liz said...

You can't negotiate with people who are leaving for 3 months, so I'd walk away. Don't settle on something this major as it could lead to another large expenditure. You're going to have to shell out enough money to move into a house already, you don't need to add a heating problem to the mix. My 2¢.