I have found the start of 2009 to be very difficult. Mainly of my own making, which is nothing new.
I quit my job and haven't been looking in earnest for a job. Have been working on my "store", unfortunately after looking at store front space in SJ, it's not going to be possible.
That started a mini-slide into a depression hole.
Then, about a month - 6 weeks ago Van and I learned that the house we have been renting a flat in was put up for sale and uncertain of who may purchase the property or what they would want to do with the place we are renting, we decided we should probably look around at other places either for rent or for sale.
That first time out to open houses, we found a fantastic for us house. I couldn't do anything about it though because a) I wasn't out of the bankruptcy long enough to be wiped off the record and b) I had no money for a deposit which meant c) I'd have to go to mom and dad for financial help, but then they would have to find out about bankruptcy, which they hadn't known about to date so I just didn't do anything.
In the past month, I have settled on the accident and have paid off all debts, including the car, bills and credit card.
Mom and Dad bought a new vehicle, so I bought their old one (which was still much better than the car) in cash.
I have stashed the rest for a downpayment.
April 1st was when the bankruptcy was wiped off my credit report.
The house we had loved at first sight ended up back on the market after a conditional offer fell through.
I went to the most recent open house with my sister, who also surprisingly loved it and thought it was great for van and I, as well as for my "hoped for" home-based business...it woudl allow me to have a teaching studio at home as well as a waiting room and spiritual store separate from the "home".
Last week I went to the bank in hopes of getting some financing. Due to other unforseen issues, van's income is not usable and I had to try for a mortgage on my own. I was "approved in principle" for around $140k, which isn't enough for the asking price of this place.
I took mom, dad, sister, bro-in-law and hubby back to the house for a viewing to see if the parental unit would be impressed enough to assist with funding. They were initially, but after further consideration and looking at all the things that would need to be "fixed" up because the work that was done by the current owners was so sloppy, the parental unit doesn't think it's worth anything close to what they are asking.
I decided to put in a low ball offer, expecting to have them come back with a counter offer with a deadline of 6pm Maundy thursday. I heard nothing back until yesterday. Which had me in a complete funk the whole time.
They ignored my offer completely and are sticking to their price because they put over $40k in upgrades to the place and want to get their money back. Problem is their upgrades while nice on the surface sucks.
Needless to say, I'm frustrated and disappointed with people who apparently don't want to really sell a house. They are delusional with the price - it's approximately $20k over the highest price of any other house in the area.
I figure we would have to put $2500 in work into fixing things up - just the things we can see - not counting what might be found by a home inspection, etc. Plus, we have to buy a couple of appliances - mainly a fridge.
So frustrated and annoyed.
Is this my sign that this isn't the one for us, even though all things point to it? Including it coming back to market right when my financials are set up to go for it? there are no other house in SJ less than $140k with such minimal work to do. I don't want to get in to a fix-er-upper. Neither Van or I have the ability/knowledge to do it ourselves, so it's all money out the tubes.
So, yesterday and today, I've been on the verge of tears all day. I am sliding further into the pit of depression, even though I tried very hard to not get my hopes up about it.
It seems rather unfair that it lined up like kismet only to be met with impossible to negotiate persons.
No comments:
Post a Comment