Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Better than expected

Iron Man was better than I expected. I had no previous knowledge really of the comic book, so I was going in without existing expectations of the characters, etc. I think that benefitted me as Van was excited to go see his favourite comic book personality and I think he came out slightly disappointed. Can't say for sure, but he certainly wasn't as excited about it as I would have expected him to be.

I enjoyed it and overall put it on par with last summer's blockbusters we saw - Transformers and Die Hard. In fact, I think I liked the fight scenes in Iron Man better than transformers - the CGI actually felt more realistic in Iron Man. Rather funny to be saying that!

Not sure what the next movie we'll be seeing is, but this summer sure is shaping up to be entertaining!

Work got unbelievably busy last week and this week, though they are sending people home because they feel we are "overstaffed". I think we're adequately staffed, but, what do I know?

Lots of changes happening at work right now as well as the person who they brought in to relive me of the ops duties handed in his 2-week resignation on Monday. Not quite 6 months from his start date. I bet 6 months, so I was pretty close. Oh well! Life goes on and the hunt is on for another vic...I mean ops manager.

My back is still rather painful. I had to miss my acupuncture appt on Monday because I coudlnt' get out of training some new temp hires. I'm hoping maybe on Friday to go - he is only in town Monday, Wednesday and Friday, so times are a bit limited :(

I asked for time off verbally at the end of April and got lazy and didn't submit it formally. Then when Monday happened, I thought I'd push my luck and see if I could still get the week off after Victoria Day. No such luck as that's the first week after he leaves and I need to help the "interim ops manager". But, they at least agreed to treat it as a 4 day use of vacation for a 5 day week whenever I want to take some time off in June, so that's cool enough I guess. Wait and see.

Well, Van decided to come home and AI is almost on. I guess I'll go watch.

1 comment:

John said...

I'm a bit surprised that Van would be disappointed-- unless he built it up too high, of course. Iron Man is one of my favorite Marvel characters, so I was very much looking forward to it. While I'm not ready to call this the "best comic book movie" as some are saying, I thought it stayed pretty close to the source (although it pulled a lot from the Ultimates origin in addition to the original origin), was fun, had great action, and very good acting.

Oh well, at least you enjoyed it. The evening wasn't wasted.