Friday, July 21, 2006

Nicknames

I have had a few nick names, or screen names through the years. All of them have been derived from a story, and generally given to me by a guy.

Nova Scotia International Tattoo 1994 was my first tattoo and first real, true understanding of "partying". I was filling in at the dal music dept. main office for the secretary who was out on maternity leave furing the day - working 8am to 5pm (for Dr. Kemp who was also the director of the Tattoo choir and knew we were partying away the night and who would have had no give during the day if I wasn't on top of things). Then I would have to boot it down to the Halifax metro center, change and be stage ready by 6pm. That was the first year of the British Royal Marine Band. What an interesting group of guys! Anyway, as much as Bonnie was in avoidance mode, Jane and I were totally sucked in by them. Funny, decent enough dancers and could hold their liquor. Show was 7 to 10pm and from 10pm until the bars downtown closed, we would be out dancing and partying. It was 10 straight days. I only drank one night. Every other night I would only drink water while partying so I wouldn't be in trouble in the morning - all I had to worry about was battling tiredness - an everyday thing. :)

Anyway, the Deal Band were in the dome I think it was night 4. And over the course of the night, one of them started calling me a 'terror'. Bonnie and Jane picked up on it, and seeing as it's a play on my name of Terri and when you shorten that up to Terr, it basically came out after that all the time from Bonnie & Jane as Terror. So, for a number of years, well about 3 or 4, my computer handle was a version of that. It's a good thing I don't use it anymore, considering all of the problems around the world, I'm sure I'd have been put on a watch dog list long ago! hehehe. Anyway, every so often Bonnie still calls me that and ever so often, I call myself that! hehehe But, that was a long time ago and admittedly, I was a very angry and agressive person. I still am, but not all the time. I used t be pissed, angry and agressive all the time, now it's (generally) only when I'm pushed past me limit.

icewolf is very much me, but I honestly didn't think of it myself. It's a total case of fate. I had always been drawn to wolves, but I honestly didn't really do a lot of research on them until I was christened with the name, and then realized how well it fit! Way back when - 1996 or 1997 there was the start f the chat rooms online. I don't even remember the name of the place, but it was a website where you could pick your topic of interest and "chat" with people ala messenger, but en masse. Anyhoos, my topic of choice at the time was pro wrestling. There was a varied group of people from all over the world and there was a core of about 10 or 12 of us. I still wonder about those people and who'se where and doing what. Anyway, there were the 'war-room women' who actually went on to go to wrestling school with the fablous moolah. There were a couple of magazine writers, the majority of us were in college or university and a handful were in high school. The core group exchanged cards and letters and phone calls all the time - gifts for birthdays and xmas were a must. It was an awesome group. We often talked about meeting in a central place en masse, but never did. I did meet up with a few of them from that group at various times and places though, so that was a nice confirmation of people and all good experiences. Anyway, one of the guys in the gang was at college taking accounting and was rather bored in a class one day and realized that my phone # didn't have any zeros or ones, so the numbers of my phone # in Hfx were all letter based, so he said he played with the #'s for the full 3 hour class and figured out that my phone # - 423-9653 spelled out icewolf. I thought that was incredibly cool. So much so that I started adopting it in other online logins and such. Then I started reseraching the spiritual origins of the wolf and what wolves mean in the native american world, etc and there was no doubt about it - icewolf was me - who I was. I am still so thankful that he was bored that day, otherwise, I may not have found my inner spirit animal!

Next post, I'll try to post a bit about the 'inner wolf' :)

No comments: