I should start off by saying that I am a church organist and choir director. I have been one since I was 15 year old and have played a church service, wedding or a funeral in just about every single denomination of church in Canada. I was born and raised protestant - United Church of Canada and am still employed by the United Church of Canada. But I make no bones to anyone - church people especially - I am only there because it's a job and you pay me.
I find no enjoyment out of going to church. I find very little enjoyment out of working with the people in a church. The politics and backstabbing, lying and deceit that happen in a church would make your stomach and hair curl. The only enjoyment I get out of staying is working with the kids in the junior choirs that I've had through the years. They are generally not old enough yet to know what to do to deliberately hurt someone or to be vengeful. They are there for the enjoyment and fellowship with friends. In general, people who go to church or people who call themselves "religious" are not. They say they believe in God - wow! That's quite a God!
Not too many people I beleive truly understand the committment of being a worker in a church. Some people do it because it's expected of them in their faith. Others do it because they truly feel the need to serve God and their fellow man. I am there every single weekend (except 4) out of the year for regular services, every single Thursday night (except July & August) of the year for senior and junior choir practices, every single holiday (Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving are traditional "family and travel" times - I would be tarred and feathered if I took vacation and travelled during those times or the month leading up to them - every Sunday in Advent (leading to Christmas) for special services and every Wednesday night in Lent (leading to Easter) for special services, plus every Sunday morning for a minimum of an hour before service and a half hour after (if I don't have another choir practice) and get to take home around $125 a week for it. I don't do it because I love it, but because it provides a medical benefits coverage that my "day job" does not have. Not because I want to be there.
I do all of the above and I do not consider myself to be religious. I don't much like what the church has to say about "God". I have in my time at various worship services found things I like. I find that I am a melting pot of the things that I have learned along the way. If I had to pin point myself to being one "religion", I cold not do that. I consider myself to be "Spiritual" and that's the best way I can explain it.
I beleive there to be a a higher power. What you want to call it is up to you. Most of the time I reference it simply as "Spirit", though sometimes for the sake of those around me, I'll refernce Spirit as 'God'. Some call it "Goddess", "Mother", "Mother Earth", "Budda", "Allah" etc. To me, we are all referencing the same thing, jsut in different ways. I believe that no matter how you address this higher power, it listens and responds. Whether you hear it or work with it, is once again up to you. I used to talk to Spirit often. I suppose I still do, I just haven't been listening to Spirit as of late. i'm starting to again though. And as I do, I find that I'm starting to find a more solid footing once again. Funny that.
4 comments:
I find the prospect of life without some kind of Spirit or God (or whatever you choose to call it) a scary thought. I would think it would be pretty lonely not having that kind of guidance in my life.
I do find enjoyment out of going to church, but I will admit I am somewhat of a Salad Bar Catholic. Some parts of what the church teaches I don't necessarily agree with. I've sometimes wondered if I should find a different religion that suits me better, but I don't think there is any one religion that is "perfect" for me. In the end I think you just have to find something that suits you. While I don't agree with 100% of the teachings, I like the consistency and comfort of mass, and it is something I share with my family.
Going to church doesn't mean you're a better person. You're right, there are certainly people who call themselves "religious" but sometimes you just gotta wonder. I think it's a false expectation that you can't help but have. Really, church-goers are no different than anyone else, but there is that assumed opinion that they're nicer people, and that isn't always the case.
Exactly! Perhaps because I've spent soooo much time in and around the church - more than just for services that I see more of the bad than the good and I am completely jaded. There is no possible way that there is one perfect religion for a person. I think that people are so unique and "individual" that there is no possible way one "set" religion or religious practices can suit all. Just my opinion, and I think another reason why I've got the melting pot thing going.
I certainly don't agree with all things, but believe I have a pretty strong moral and ethical code to live by, which is all anyone can hope for now a days!
Any time you get God (or whatever you wish to call it) within 4 walls, bad things happen. That's because it becomes all about rites, rituals, and the people (with all their faults) and less about the spiritual.
As long as God is free and unconfined, and you listen to it one on one, good things happen.
I do not believe in a man-like God who is all knowing and all seeing. I believe that there is some force beyond us, an energy, that, when we pay attention to it will interact us with. If we bring negatives to it, we will get negatives in return. If we bring positives to it, we will get positives in return. I believe that we can manipulate this energy and pass it on. I think that ghosts and other spirits are just a form of this energy made manifest by Will. And, energy is neither created nor destroyed, and our Will is just a specific energy pattern manifested.
I think that profits, like Jesus, Mohammed, etc., are just people who tapped into that energy more strongly than most. I think they then tried to describe it in ways that the people of their times could understand. Hence the "Father" and "Mother Earth" and "Zeus" and all other appellations and stories used to describe it.
Once people realize that this energy is everywhere, including inside us, and that how we use it both for ourselves and for others affects ourselves and the world around us, we will reach a new enlightenment and take the next religious step forward.
So, I say I am "spiritual" (of things beyond human) and not "religious" (of the church, rites, rituals, etc.).
Hey John! Welcome :) What you said in paragraph one is the reason why I don't put a label on myself of Pagan, wiccan, new age, or some other "religious belief" because as you said - it's all about the rites, rituals, and people. Chistians piss on the alternative religions for being alternative and having rites and rituals, when there is nothing more ritual than a christian communion ceremony, the Lord's Prayer, and most importantly, the offering. All "religions" have rites and rituals, whether they think they do or better yet - acknowledge that they or not. Alternative Religions piss on Christians for being too blinded to see alternative, when they are jsut as ritualled, if not more so. Tis okay - that's what makes the world go round and what helps keep politics in business - as it generally starts and keeps wars going! :) Just to look on the brighter side of things, eh? :)
I also totally agree with you on the higher power overall and that those who are the "prophets" are those that have simply "tapped into it" more than others. That's a great explanation of it really. Thanks! :)
5 more days!!! Yaaay!! I'm sure you are soooo excited to come visit again! I know I'm excited for you to come visit when it's (hopefully) not freezing cold! hehehe
Post a Comment