Saturday, January 21, 2012

I'm actually going to say No

I have been complaining/referencing that I'm just a girl who can't say no for a while now, and have done nothing to actively change that and always caving in to the popular decision, even when it's not in my best interest.

I have decided this morning to say no to something for the first time in a long time. I have been asked to join an "elite chorus" for a touring show that is coming in to town in March. The person who is directing it is a good friend and someone I work with during the week on a regular basis. All the people that have been asked to perform in this chorus are the "pros" in town and the people who have a lot of influence in the music happening in this area who have all been very kind to us over the past few months. I'd LOVE to work with them all, I really would! I think I'd even enjoy the music, even though it's Bach (which I normally despise), but the main hesitation for me is that there are 5 weeks of rehearsals. Every Sunday night from 7 - 9pm from next Sunday night until the performance night plus a dress rehearsal on the stage the night before and/or afternoon of (depending on the tours schedule). I just don't have that kind of time to devote to an "extra" right now. I have church on Sunday mornings (a paying gig) from 9:30am - noon, then I teach from 1 - 5pm. Giving up Sunday nights just isn't appealing to me in the least right now, especially when I will have to be using almost every extra second to prep for three adjudication jobs starting the end of March through until May!

I know that a few of these people will think and probably even accuse me of being selfish, but I have to say no. If it was a 2 rehearsal thing (which, I really don't see why it can't be as all the invitees are "pros") then I'd be in, but I just can't think of 5 or 6 weeks weeks of Sunday nights singing Bach as anything really enjoyable.

Shame of it is that I could be using that as experience for my first choral adjudicating gigs coming up as part of the adjudication gigs this year, but I just can't bring myself to say yes.

So, I'm a girl who is learning to say no. Let's see if this comes back to bite me on the ass and if so, how hard?!

1 comment:

liz said...

Good for you for recognizing that you can't do everything, and you need some time for yourself, even if it is only Sunday nights. There's always an opportunity cost when you say no, but that's the risk you take.