Sunday, November 14, 2010

No time for decisions

I took 2.5 days off of teaching last week and expected to have the time I needed to get the things done for my sister & bro-in-law's party as well as have the time to do some writing, practicing and take some time for me to make some decisions.

The only thing that happened in those 2.5 days off was the party stuff. It meant that the party went well though, so that's great, but I got nothing else done and my house is in complete and utter shambles. *sigh*

I have to get the paperwork done for my first session/class that I am offering. It's a big deal. I have to make sure that the information given is good information and that the class/session is paced well for the 2 hours. This week, I need to finalize the information, find 2 hours to run through everything to make sure that it is paced well then edit and print off their hand-outs and put them together in their presentation folders. I have to clean the studio area *which needs to be done anyway*, set out chairs get products for tea & coffee for those who don't like it black and get some "treats" for my guests. I was hoping to have everything done except for the tea, coffee & sweets last week on my days off, but life doesn't ever seem to work out the way I have it planned.

So, between students, I will be typing like mad this week!

I also have to decide what I want to do/need to do when my gig at the current church expires on January 2nd, 2011 as the church is closing. I have had 2 offers, neither of them formal but 2 offers none the less. But, on first discussions with both places, neither of them felt "right". It's a hard thing to explain, but neither meeting left me feeling "warm & fuzzy". One really, really wants me - to quote their minister, but I am just not a fan of the actual service format or how they do the same things every week. The second place has no youth. I would be the youngest person (by far) in the church. No room for growth, they have no permanent minister and while they will never not be there, it sounds like they are in the same place, or heading there very quickly as the church that is closing in 6 weeks. Do I want to get in to that same situation again?

I am starting to spread my wings with regard to musical work. I can't elaborate right now because nothing has been signed, but it is the next logical step in my musical career, but it will take me away from a church at very inopportune times in the church's calendar year. I am not sure if this will be an every year thing, but right now, I hope it is and that is not fair for a church to be missing a vital part of their operations every time the musical needs arise as it is almost always the same time of year.

I am torn, as often is the case when making decisions. Logically, it should not be this difficult. I should be able to look at things on paper and make a decision, but I just can't. I need time to really look at things, talk about things and think things through and I simply have not had the time I expected, wanted or needed and I know that these 2 places are waiting on my decision. But, I don't have the time I need to make it, so I keep them hanging. Utterly unfair.

Here's hoping to having more time this week to think!!

1 comment:

liz said...

If they haven't made you a formal offer, I don't think you're leaving them hanging at all. I think you just feel pressured to make a decision which may be better monetarily but isn't truly what you want to do. Between the two churches, it sounds like the first is better for you, even if you don't like the service. Like the rest of us, it's a job that pays, you don't necessarily have to like it.