Sunday, January 03, 2010

lurking and snooping = slurking?

With FB's changes to privacy many people have not realized that they have to change their privacy settings, even if they clicked the pop up that said "keep all my preferences the way they were".

I can get on to most people's walls and see most people's pictures that I wasn't able to see before...yes, I've tried to snoop previously.

I have gone to check out people with whom I haven't spoken to in literally years. There were reasons why we stopped speaking and they are still valid, however I often wonder where they are, what are they doing, how are they doing, etc.

It has been an interesting experience to say the least.

I found an unreasonable sense of satisfaction seeing pictures of someone who had gained a large amount of weight since last I saw them. Especially since they were not the most kind regarding my weight/size.

I was surprised to find someone whom I least expected to pro-create has a child.

I was shocked to find someone had passed away due to a vehicular accident.

I was disappointed to find someone doing very well for themselves. Seriously disappointed.

In each instance that I was able to go on to someone's FB page and snoop around their current life I found myself comparing. I found myself wondering whether or not where they are now and where I am now are comparable. Are they married like me? Do they have kids? Are they working a good job? Have they gone away somewhere warm for a vacation? Do they own their own house? Do they have a new car?

We've all taken separate paths and gone different ways for a reason so why I want to know is something I'm not really certain about. I'm not certain also that comparisons are fair but overall, it doesn't do much for ego or esteem.

1 comment:

John said...

I am, once again, seriously considering dropping Facebook. They have made figuring out the rules to make yourself as invisible as possible more difficult, they have added that stupid new live/news feed (which no one can adequately explain to me, including them), and there still isn't any way to adequately subjugate people into categories (work, personal, family, extended family, acquaintances, et al) so that the right people see the right things.